Bob Jones Academy students in 9th through 12th have the opportunity to participate in speech and debate through an interscholastic team, competing in debate, public speaking, and interpretation events. The competitive speech experience teaches students to think carefully, respond intelligently to opposing viewpoints and to communicate what they believe.
Members of the Academy team may join a national honor society, the National Speech and Debate Association (NSDA), enabling them to gain national recognition in their speech accomplishments.
The team competes in about 15 tournaments during the year including the South Carolina State tournament and the NSDA District and National tournaments.
Bob Jones Academy students consistently excel in these competitions. Highlights include:
- 1A State Champions (1988, 1990, 1992, 1993, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017)
- 2A State Champions (1989, 1995, 1996, 2001, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006)
- National Speech and Debate Association Leading Chapter (1989, 1994, 2001, 2008, 2014)
- Over 70 NSDA national qualifiers in all events
- Two National Champions: Extemporaneous Commentary (2003 and Storytelling (2004)
- Eight NSDA National Finalists in various speech events
- NIETOC (National Individual Events Tournament of Champions) Prose finalist in 2011 and semi finalist in 2013
High school students may also particpate on the Mock Trial Team. The team competes successfully on the regional and state levels. In 2004 the team won the national championship.