BJA students in the middle and high school have many opportunities to develop and practice their speaking and acting skills. Classes in performing arts, public speaking and debate are offered as part of the high school curriculum.
In addition, students can audition for stage productions and can also compete against other schools in categories such as interpretation, mock trial and debate.
Drama can be a fun and memorable part of the middle and high school experience, helping students to build confidence in speakingand teaching them to work as a team.
In addition to acting projects assigned in speech classes, students can audition for school plays. Productions vary from year to year and have included, for example, a Christmas musical and a Sherlock Holmes mystery. The annual middle school play focuses on children’s theater.
Dramatic productions also give interested students a chance to work behind the scenes as stage crew, running the lights, curtains and more.
High school students have the opportunity to participate in speech and debate through an interscholastic team, competing in debate, public speaking, and interpretation events. The competitive speech experience teaches students to think carefully, respond intelligently to opposing viewpoints and to communicate what they believe.
Members of the Academy team may join a national honor society, the National Speech and Debate Association (NSDA), enabling them to gain national recognition in their speech accomplishments.
The team competes in about 15 tournaments during the year including the South Carolina State tournament and the NFL District and National tournaments.
Bob Jones Academy students consistently excel in these competitions. Highlights include:
- 1A State Champions (1988, 1990, 1992, 1993, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016)
- 2A State Champions (1989, 1995, 1996, 2001, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006)
- National Speech and Debate Association Leading Chapter (1989, 1994, 2001, 2008, 2014)
- Over 70 NSDA national qualifiers in all events
- Two National Champions: Extemporaneous Commentary (2003 and Storytelling (2004)
- Eight NSDA National Finalists in various speech events
- NIETOC (National Individual Events Tournament of Champions) Prose finalist in 2011 and semi finalist in 2013
Middle and high school students may also participate on Mock Trial teams. The teams compete successfully on the regional and state levels. In 2004 the high school team won the national championship.
Bob Jones Academy is a Christian school located in Greenville, SC.