Our story begins in 1927 with Bob Jones Sr., a well-known American evangelist with a burden for Christian education. Bob Jones Academy opened in Lynn Haven, Fla., with 47 students in grades 7 through 12, sharing many resources with the fledgling college by the same name.
In 1947 the two schools—Bob Jones Academy and Bob Jones University—moved to Greenville, S.C., where the Academy gained its own facilities, an increasing enrollment, and a growing number of dedicated faculty members. An elementary school division was added in the 70s, and within just the first 6 years, enrollment increased fourfold.
In 2011 it was announced that the school, previously operating as semi-independent divisions (including Bob Jones Elementary and Bob Jones Junior High), would be unified under the name Bob Jones Academy, thus creating the largest Christian school in South Carolina.