Bob Jones Academy is an independent Christian school in Greenville, SC, serving students in preschool through grade 12. Founded in 1927, BJA is well known for its excellent Christian education. All faculty are certified through the South Carolina Association of Christian Schools (SCACS); over 50 percent of all faculty have advanced degrees. BJA enjoys high faculty retention and experience—75 percent of faculty have 10 or more years of classroom experience, and many faculty members have also authored textbooks or developed online courses.
American Association of Christian Schools
South Carolina Association of Christian Schools
Cognia (formerly AdvancED)
Bob Jones Academy exists to assist like-minded Christian parents in challenging students to love Jesus Christ, to embrace God’s truth, to exercise integrity, to pursue excellence and to serve others.
In BJA’s college preparatory high school program, classes are 50 minutes long and meet five days a week. Twenty-four credits are required for graduation. In addition to a full slate of rigorous college prep courses, BJA offers an honors track—both math and science—and general courses in the core areas. BJA has a robust dual-credit program through its affiliated regionally accredited college, Bob Jones University.
Graduation Requirements: 24 Total Credits
Social Studies—3 credits
Computer Science—1 credit
Foreign Language—1 credit
Physical Education—1 credit
BJA uses the standard South Carolina grading scale: A, 90-100; B, 80-89; C, 70-79; D, 60-69; F, 0-59. This became the standard SC scale beginning in the fall of 2016. Until then it was: A, 93-100; B, 85-92; C, 77-84; D, 70-76; F, 0-69. BJA calculates both a weighted (South Carolina Uniform Grading Policy) GPA and an unweighted GPA. The weighted SCUGP GPA is used to calculate class rank. In the SCUGP, honors courses receive an additional .5 quality point and dual-credit courses receive an additional 1 quality point.
Algebra I, Algebra II, Biology, Chemistry, Concert Band, Concert Choir, French III, Geometry, Global Studies, Handbell Choir, Physical Science, Physics, Orchestra, PreCalculus & Introduction to Calculus
Common classes taken include the following: Calculus I, Calculus II, Composition & Literature, Composition & Rhetoric, Fundamentals of Counseling, Fundamentals of Speech, General Psychology, Intermediate Spanish, Intro to Business, Introduction to Criminal Justice, Introduction to the Arts, Making of the Modern World, New Testament Literature & Interpretation, Old Testament Literature & Interpretation, Principles of Accounting I and II, Principles of Marketing, Themes in Western Thought.
BJA’s high school extracurricular program includes a robust speech and debate and mock trial program as well as strong fine arts and athletic opportunities.
• Activities: student body officers, class officers, Academian (yearbook) staff, Triangle (newspaper) staff, speech and debate, mock trial and stage crew
• Community outreach: Mission trip, community work days, visits to special needs settings (e.g., nursing home)
Fine Arts Program
BJA’s high school fine arts program is built on a strong foundation (beginning at the elementary level) and includes the following opportunities:
- Band and orchestra competitions—Superior ratings at concert festivals
- Handbell choir
- Vocal choir—Performances at area venues, such as the Biltmore Estate, Asheville, North Carolina
- Music lessons from college professors
- Speech and debate competition: 1A state champions; nationally ranked by the National Speech & Debate Association
- Mock Trial competition—previous state and national champions
- School plays
BJA’s middle school athletics program feeds its high school program. BJA is a member of the South Carolina Association of Christian Schools athletic league participating in:
- Boys soccer (2013—2018 state champions)
- Girls soccer (2019, 2021 state champions)
- Boys volleyball (2019 state champions)
- Girls volleyball (2013—2017 state champions)
- Boys basketball (2014 & 2019 state champions)
- Girls basketball (2015, 2016, 2018, 2019, 2020, and 2021 state champions)
- Girls cheerleading
- Cross country
BJA is also a member of NACA (National Association of Christian Athletes), participating in:
- Boys soccer (2019 Division II Invitational Tournament Champions)
- Child Development Center 113
- K3–5 490
- 6–8 225
- 9–12 299
- K3–12 1,014
Class of 2021
- Graduates: 66
- South Carolina Palmetto Fellows Scholarships: 10
- College acceptance: 63
- South Carolina Life Scholarships: 23
- Selected work or military service: 3
- South Carolina Hope Scholarships: 27
- ACT average: 24.3
- ACT average, top 25%: 28
Colleges and Universities to Which BJA Graduates Have Been Accepted
Ambassador Baptist College – Anderson University – Bob Jones University – Bryan College – Cedarville University – Charleston Southern University – Clemson University – College of Charleston – Converse University – Covenant College – Furman University – Gardner-Webb University – Georgia Southern University – Georgia Institute of Technology – Greenville Technical College – Indiana University – Indiana University Bloomington – ITT Technical Institute – Lander University – Liberty University – Limestone University – Maranatha Baptist University – New York University – North Greenville University – Northeastern University – Texas A&M University – Texas Christian University – The Citadel, The Military College of South Carolina – The University of Iowa – United States Air Force Academy – United States Military Academy West Point – University of Illinois – University of South Carolina – Vanderbilt University – Winthrop University – Wofford College
A PDF of the school profile is available here.