We’ve chosen these activities specifically to help students develop their leadership and prepare them for their experiences in New York. Each activity should be completed diligently and on time–characteristics that are important during the trip itself. We’re using financial incentives for reinforcement.
- Finish all preparation activities by the first Friday of the school year (August): $50 discount off the cost of the trip
- Each item not submitted on time or a team meeting missed without prior permission, if permitted to go on the trip: $15 per item/meeting (one grace given in some circumstances)
Most items are due by the Friday after Thanksgiving break.
- Apply online (in September–see dates and deadlines for this year’s due date).
- Attend all spring meetings (see dates and deadlines); with prior permission may miss one meeting (get permission at least 24 hours in advance; additional absences jeopardize a student’s place on the team.
- Take Scripture memory quiz (due by the Friday after Thanksgiving break); to take it early, stop by the academic office; watch for announcements about when/where to take it the week after Thanksgiving.
- Complete preparation requirements report (due by the Friday after Thanksgiving break), see report for details. Included: tract distribution (give out at least 4 tracts); ministry (participate at least 4 times; examples: teaching Sunday School or Bible club, ministering at a nursing home, going on church visitation; special music may be listed once; nursery cannot be counted); short report on a book (see report for titles; other titles may be approved by Mr. Tompkins, Dr. White, or Miss Freeman). Some requirements overlap with requirements or extra credit for senior Bible when Mr. Hunt’s is teaching in Oct-Dec.
The cost of the 2019 trip was $525. Students should plan to bring approximately $60 for meals in addition to money for souvenirs.
If finances are a problem, please contact Mr. Tompkins who can give suggestions for raising needed funds. Also, donors sometimes help students to go on the trip. We certainly do not want finances to prevent an interested student from going on the trip and will do all we can to help.