With over 125 of our secondary students typically participating in interscholastic sports, we are continuing to proceed cautiously and carefully, evaluating health and safety conditions on a daily basis.
What COVID-related modifications are planned for tryouts, practices, and games?
The following modifications are planned for athletes during tryouts, practices, and games:
- Water bottles: Athletes will supply their own water bottles.
- Face coverings: Athletes will not be asked to wear a face covering while actively participating in a tryout, practice, or game. Athletes will be required to have a face covering that can be used when not actively participating in the sport, such as when a coach is instructing the team at close range, players are sitting on the bench, players are walking to and from practices, on the bus to and from games, etc.
- Away games: We will follow any additional guidelines given to us by schools we will be visiting for games. Our own physical distancing and face covering guidelines will be in effect for all away games.
- Food stops on return trips from away games: We will give information to our teams shortly before our first games of the season.
The following sanitization procedures are planned:
- Equipment: Will be sanitized before, during, and after tryouts, practices, and games.
- Facilities (gym, locker rooms, bleachers): Will be sanitized regularly after use, with high traffic surfaces being sanitized as needed by event staff.
The following modifications are planned for athletes regarding COVID-19 screening, testing, and response:
- Screening: Athletes will have their temperature checked and will confirm the day’s green screen on Ascend before being admitted to tryouts, practices, and games.
- Testing: COVID-19 testing will not be specially required for athletes—they will be under the same testing protocol as the rest of BJA’s student body.
- Symptomatic athlete: As with the rest of the student body, an athlete with COVID-19 symptoms will be removed from participation and will follow the established protocol for clearance.
- COVID-positive athlete: The athlete and parents would be required to follow the established protocol for BJA students before an athlete is eligible to return to school.
- Team members of COVID-positive athlete: As with other COVID situations, BJA will handle situations on a case-by-case basis.
- Other schools: BJA will be in contact with schools to make sure they are following their stated health and safety protocols. SCACS schools will be following a SCACS-recommended health and safety protocol.
Who will be able to attend basketball games at BJA?
Two categories of fans are welcome under the following guidelines. No other fans will be admitted at this time.
- BJU/BJA students, faculty, and staff: Show current green screen (Ascend or Conversa) and have a temperature check (less than 100.0) to enter. At the game observe physical distancing guidelines and when indoors wear a face covering.
- Immediate family members of (live in the same household with) an athlete (current player on any BJA team roster or player on the opposing team): Pass a short health questionnaire and temperature check (less than 100.0) to enter or to reenter. At the game observe physical distancing guidelines and when indoors wear a face covering.
Note: Some schools have already limited opposing teams’ fans to parents only. We will inform our athletes and their parents about an opponent’s policies as games approach. Also consider checking a school’s website when making plans about attending an away game.
Where will fans be able to sit, and does that affect capacity?
Basketball uses the Academy Gym.
Dots on the bleachers indicate physical distancing requirements. Those living in the same household may of course sit closer than the dots—otherwise, though, please sit on a dot on the bleachers. Please maintain physical distancing at other times while at games.
The maximum capacity in the Academy Gym is approximately 250 people when seated using physical distancing. Once capacity is reached, fans will not be admitted.
Questions? Contact our athletic director, Bryan Harwood.